One thing I miss the most about this time of year is waking up at PaPa's house (my grandfather) and having freshly made biscuits that he'd roll out and prepare at 5 AM and his delicious white bacon gravy. Oh how I miss his jovial spirit and child like grin. In honor of my grandfather, this Thanksgiving, I'd like to share an alternative form of PaPa's famous biscuit and gravy recipe. While it is good- it will never be as great as PaPa's, especially with the modifications, but it's close.
Top 10 Food Allergy Free Biscuits and Gravy
- 8 biscuits needed- will provide recipe upon request or check these out: 123 Gluten Free 86040 123 Gluten Free Southern Glory Biscuit Mix- 6-17.76OZ
- I also recommend taking Udi's Gluten Free white buns and tearing them up into chunks then pouring the gravy over them.
- 8 ounces of bacon (fry bacon and save the grease it's what is needed for the base of the gravy)
- 1/2 cup Bobs Red Mill 19479 Potato Flour Gluten Free (Purchase here by clicking)
- 3 cups rice milk (unsweetened and whole- not lowfat) You could also use unsweeted soy milk if you don't have a soy allergy
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (fresh ground)
Prepare bacon in a large frying pan, remove bacon and save grease. Add wheat free flour (potato flour would work- I recommend not using a sweet flour, it ruins the savory flavor) a little bit at a time, stirring slowly in with a wooden spoon so you get a nice brown thick base, then slowly begin to add a little bit of rice or soy milk while stirring constantly to make sure you avoid any lumps. The key to making this gravy is to have it thick but not lumpy- so stirring with a wooden spoon is essential. Let the gravy thicken and then continue to add milk. Add in pepper, salt and chile powder once the gravy has a nice white constancy and continue to stir. Once you are satisfied with the flavor and the texture, serve over hot biscuits and enjoy immediately.
Thank you for reading and letting me share. I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas for alternative recipes you enjoy- please feel free to comment below or email them and mention whether you want to share them, I'll gladly select 10 and post them for others to share.
Thank you for your support of Food Allergy Gal. Every reader makes a difference. Enjoy your holidays and the autumn and winter seasons. May your days be filled with warmth, love and great food.