Eating outThese are examples of "Chef Cards"
- Wash your hands before preparing a food allergics meal. We don't recommend latex gloves be used due to high number of people diagnosed with latex allergy.
- Use separate cutlery, chopping boards and utensils to prevent cross-contact. Purple is the recognized allergen friendly color in the kitchen. You can purchase safe kits online or from a distributor like Sysco or US Foodservice.
- Use plenty of hot, soapy water to clean the area around where food is being prepped.
- Avoid splatters and spillages by covering food up.
- If you are a food facility that caters to the public it is a good idea to have all ingredients and sub-ingredients listed. If you don't use an electronic system such as AllerSmartMenu then keep updating an ingredient book. You never know when someone is going to come in who has a food allergy or food intolerance. If you are unsure what ingredients are in a product and need a quick reference, you may also use Fooducate.com