15 August 2013

Foodservice Ignorance Impacts another life

Story delivered by Esther Han

One bite of chorizo pasta with Parmesan cheese and David Curley's body went into shock.
Within minutes, his throat, tongue and face swelled and his body broke out in hives and rashes. ''I turned into Elephant Man,'' said Mr Curley, 34, who has a dairy allergy.
He claims waiters at a restaurant ignored his allergy and re-served the same bowl of pasta he had rejected. Paramedics gave him two shots of adrenalin and took him to hospital.
"I feel waiters and chefs don't take allergies seriously, that it's a medical condition that can kill,'' he said.
Allergy and Anaphylaxis Australia wants the restaurant industry to introduce a national allergy management plan to reduce the risk of patrons going into anaphylactic shock. It also wants allergens to be declared on menus and staff to be trained to handle dietary needs.
"The food service sector needs to take allergies more seriously because a fatality can happen," said president Maria Said. "There is a lack of understanding and awareness, a lack of communication between front and back of house."
But Restaurant and Catering Australia said restaurants were not "health-care providers".
"We don't have the responsibility for the health care of our customers," chief executive John Hart said. "While it would be nice to think we can look after everybody, where will it stop?"
Restaurants would never print allergens on menus, he said. "We have to produce 600 million meals a year and every single one of them is going to be different." (This is why having AllerSmartMenu would be VERY beneficial combined with a training and education program like AllerCert are ever so important.)
He said he sent the pasta and chorizo topped with Parmesan back, telling waiters he was allergic to cheese. He alleges the new bowl was in fact the first one flipped upside down with the cheese buried inside.
Under the Food Act, Mr Curley fulfilled his duty of informing staff of his allergy; the club was required to accurately respond to his allergy questions.
Hospital admissions for anaphylaxis have increased four fold in two decades, new research from the Australian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy shows.
Food-induced anaphylaxis has doubled in the past decade and 20 per cent of Australians have an allergic disease.
The restaurant industry and the allergy group through Food Standards Australia and New Zealand reached an agreement last year for staff to accurately respond to questions about ingredients and allergens.
Ms Said believes this self-regulatory code is not enough. She will be making her case to the industry at the HACCP food safety conference next month.
The authority has worked with the allergy group to send booklets on allergy management rules to 35,000 food businesses. 
There is a new application available for smart phone users that also may come in handy called Safe Food, Healthy Business, which helps keep friendly reminders on the go. What do you think about it? 

To Find out how to become an educated, allergy friendly foodservice provider, please contact Food Allergy Gal at info@ilaraholland.com . 

AllerSmartMenu resolves many questions and time/efficiency concerns in the foodservice industry. Red Robin is the latest customer of AllerSmartMenu technology. 
Check it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting your comment on the Food Allergy Gal blog. Please visit Facebook.com/FoodAllergyGal.